• Currently employed full-time with Harvey Norman in the Midrange Team, looking after a fleet of 100+ Linux servers, and helping with AIX.
• Phone/email: refer to contact details in my full CV in Word format.
• Experienced Linux/Unix/Windows engineer.
• Comfortable in BAU or project work, in the field, or in client-facing roles.
Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems Engineering)
University of South Australia, 2001
Project: DSP on reconfigurable parallel architectures, at Advanced Computing Research Centre.
Areas of Expertise:
• Windows Server
High-Level Skills & Experience:
• Systems engineering: systems-level analysis & design.
• Service delivery: maintaining & improving services to internal and external clients.
• Project delivery: as tech. lead on IT projects; and as a member of multi-disciplinary teams, focusing on integration to deliver effective & efficient systems.
• Managing multiple deliverables and deadlines in support of local & overseas offices.
• Full SDLC experience, including iterative/Agile approaches, configuration control, and documentation.
• ITIL processes in enterprise, engineering, and MSP environments.
• Hardware, OS, and application support for mission-critical servers and software applications.
• Training users, leading small teams, mentoring junior engineers.
• Excellent problem-solving skills applicable to a wide range of problem domains.
2018+ : Senior Systems Engineer, Harvey Norman
2017 : Career Break
2009 – 2017 : Senior Systems Engineer, Fugro LADS
2008 – 2009 : Systems Engineer, LADS Corporation
2007 – 2008 : Systems Engineer, Tenix Defence
2004 – 2006 : Data Analyst, Electronic Data Systems (HP Enterprise Services/DXC Technology)
I have many interests in IT-related fields ranging from FPGAs to security exploits. I’ve written some signal-processing software in C & Perl. I also have an interest in electronics, and have repaired numerous devices including several valve guitar amplifiers (Marshall DSL/TSL/Mode4, Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine).
To keep my technical skills sharp during my year off in 2017 I tinkered with a variety of personal projects (some of which can be found on my GitHub account):
• (this) personal website in AWS EC2 cloud instance at homunculoid.com
• virtualisation lab with VMWare/ESXi, RHEV, & oVirt as nested hypervisors
• PXE boot server, allowing boot to Fedora, CentOS, and Ubuntu media hosted on the server
• Bamboo & Jenkins projects to build the linux kernel & Visualisation ToolKit (VTK)
• Ansible playbooks to deploy an SOE to RHEL/CentOS/Fedora/Ubuntu, including scripts using libvirt to spin-up VMs & test.
Currently working toward certification as an AWS Solutions Architect.
• Linux – RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, Suse, Gentoo
• Unix – AIX, Tru64, Solaris
• Virtualisation – KVM, RHEV, VMWare/ESXi/VSphere, Hyper-V, oVirt, AWS (EC2)
• Windows – 7, 8, 10, Server 2012R2, 2016, WSUS, Active Directory, Group Policy, SCCM.
Automation, Scripting, Software Development:
• Ansible, Ansible Tower/AWX, Puppet, Suse Manager/Red Hat Satellite
• Scripting (bash, perl, python, Windows Powershell)
• GNU OSS development toolchain (autotools, make, C, C++)
• Ada (Rational Apex)
• Docker, SVN, Git
• Matlab, SciLab, Octave, VTK.
• Collectd, Grafana, Nagios, Zabbix, IBM Cloud APM
Data Management/Backup/Disaster Recovery:
• Red Hat Gluster Storage, Red Hat Storage Server, GlusterFS
• Bacula, HP Data Protector, ReaR, Symantec Backup, Veeam, Yosemite.
• HP ProLiant DL series servers & StorageWorks disk arrays
• Dell R series servers
• DEC AlphaServer 4100, DS20, ES40, ES45 servers
• Sun Fire V250 servers
• Controllers – Adaptec, Dell PERC, HP Smart Array, LSI
• Enclosures & backplanes – Dell, HP, SuperMicro
• LTO tape libraries, drives, diagnostic tools – Dell, HP, IBM
• Xilinx FPGAs & parallel computer architectures
• Motorola 68HC11 microcontroller and 680×0 assembler
• Managed switches – Dell, Cisco, Linksys
• Cisco Unified Communications Manager (UCM)
• Uninterruptible power supplies (UPS) – APC, Dell, HP.
And many other tools, technologies, etc.
Please see my full CV in Word format